Mozilla Thunderbird 3 and Google Contacts addon issue
Yesterday, I upgraded my Ubuntu 9.10 to Ubuntu 10.04 beta
1 (Lucid Lynx). Lucid comes with
After upgrading, using Thunderbird 3 once and rebooting, Thunderbird
started up with empty profile and showed the account creation window.
When I looked into the home directory, I noticed that my
.thunderbird is moved to
.thunderbird.upstream and the new
.thunderbird is created with an empty profile. Moving the
.thunderbird.upstream back to
.thunderbird will work fine the
first time and on the next startup, Thunderbird will repeat the same and
start with an empty profile.
After banging my head against this issue for a while and some help from
#ubuntu-mozillateam, I figured out that Google Contacts
causing this problem. When Thunderbird starts up, Google Contacts addon
.mozilla-thunderbird directory which is the directory for
Thunderbird 2. Thunderbird 3 doesn't like this directory and it does all
this renaming stuff. Uninstalling the Google Contacts addon fixed this
issue for me.
The lesson that I learned from this experience is to start Thunderbird
in safe mode,
thunderbird --safe-mode that will help you to isolate
issues that are caused by faulty extensions.