One of the reasons that I enjoyed this the most was due to the fact that I can totally correlate this comic to my behavior in naming things. I have an obsession of naming my laptops, servers, PCs, gadgets and more based on Greek mythological names. I am not sure how I developed this obsession. I think that it was mainly influenced by the games Zeus: Master of Olympus and Age of Mythology, the two games that I played a lot almost 8 years ago.
Here are some of the names of my stuff and the reason why I picked that name.
Macbook Pro (Mac OS X)
- Name: aphrodite - Aphrodite (Ἀφροδίτη (Áphroditē)) is the goddess of love and beauty.
- Reason: This is my most favorite name. I use it for the personal machine that I spend time on.
Primary development machine (Solaris 11)
- Name: athena - Athena or Athene (Ἀθηνᾶ (Athēnâ)) is the goddess of wisdom, warfare, battle strategy, heroic endeavour, handicrafts and reason.
- Reason: I use this name for my primary development machine at work and the primary trait that I care is wisdom.
Messaging Server development server (Solaris 10)
- Name: angelia - Angelia (Αγγελία) is the spirit of messages, tidings and proclamations.
- Reason: It mainly deals with messages.
Microsoft Windows VM
- Name: erebos - Erebos (Ἔρεβος (Érebos)) is the god of darkness and shadow.
- Reason: No comments.
- Name: Dionysus - Dionysus (Διόνυσος) is the god of wine, drunken orgies and wild vegetation.
- Reason: It mainly represents the idea of socializing and parties.
- Name: Ananke - Ananke (Ἀνάγκη (Anánkē)) is the goddess of inevitability, compulsion and necessity.
- Reason: Well, iPad is a compulsion and necessity of the current generation, especially of magnified amplitude for people in the Valley.
Buffalo wireless router
- Name: aether - Aether (Αιθήρ) is the primeval god of the upper air.
- Reason: For the power of sending/receiving tons of data over the air.
Apple iPod Nano
- Name: Terpsichore - Terpsichore (Τερψιχόρη) "delight of dancing" was one of the nine Muses, ruling over dance and the dramatic chorus.
- Reason: Associated with fitness.
- Name: Hedone - Hedone (Ἡδονή), is the spirit of pleasure, enjoyment and delight.
- Reason: Associated with entertainment/enjoyment.
Canon EOS 50D camera
- Name: Hyperion - Hyperion (Ὑπερίων (Hyperíōn)) is the titan of light. With Theia, he is the father of Helios (the sun), Selene (the moon) and Eos (the dawn).
- Reason: What suits a camera better than the name of the titan of light!
Honda Civic car
- Name: Hermes - Hermes (Ἡρμῆς (Hērmē̂s)) is the god of travel, messengers, trade, thievery, cunning wiles, language, writing, diplomacy, athletics, and animal husbandry.
- Reason: If the god of travel is with you, you are the master of roads.
Citizen Skyhawk AT watch
- Name: Chronos - Chronos (Χρόνος (Chrónos)) is the Keeper of Time. Not to be confused with the Titan Cronus, the father of Zeus.
- Reason: What suits a clock that is so meticulous in keeping the accurate time using atomic time better than this name?
Fuji CCR3 road bike
- Name: Aura - Aura (Αὔρα (Aúra)) is the titan of the breeze and the fresh, cool air of early morning.
- Reason: Mainly reflects the feeling that I get when I ride.
Predator Sneaky Pete cue
- Name: Oupis - Oupis (Ουπις), aiming aspect of archery.
- Reason: That was the closest Greek mythological name that I was able to find related to pool.
Atomic Smoke skis
- Name: Chione - Chione (Χιόνη) is the goddess of snow and daughter of Boreas.
- Reason: Isn't that obvious?
You decide if I am crazy or not.